Norwood Rose Garden is one
of the most popular features of the Wellington
A rose garden has been a feature of the Garden
for a long time. The original occupied the
site now featuring the Sound Shell in the Main
Garden. In the late 1940's the possibility of
establishing a new area featuring roses was
suggested, and with the assistance of the
Norwood Family, work commenced in 1950, the
garden named after Lady Norwood. The area
opened in 1953.
The Garden contains some 3200 roses covering
over 300 varieties. It include all main types
roses including -Hybrid Tea
types with their large flowers, many of
which are fragrant
with their clusters of individual
flowers of a wide colour range. Few
are fragrant, but produce more colour
all over the plant.
which are ideal for pots and tubs. These
are usually smaller plants with smaller
roses for walls pergolas etc. There are
approximately 80 on the pergola
surrounding the main beds.
are mostly large growing plants with a
variety of flower types.
Standard roses of
both Hybrid Tea and Florobunda types
which are grafted onto a long stem about
a meter high.
There is also a heritage
rose collection of roses from Regency
and Victorian times in the adjoining Bollton
Street Memorial Park, containing some 300
heritage specimens covering over 80 varieties.
The surrounding pergola
was added in 1961. Lady Norwood donated the
original fountain in the centre, although the
Norwood children gave a replacement in 1977.
This is an antique bronze structure, imported
from Australia, although originally came from
outside a bank in London. It is over 100 years
The design of the garden has basically not
changed since it was constructed. There are
106 beds, although recently the 4 central beds
have been divided into two to allow easier
access, so there are now 110 main beds. The
Rose Garden Brochure, available in the Begonia
House, gives the garden layout, and lists the
individual roses in their appropriate beds. #
to 4 rose beds are replaced each year, the new
roses previously trialed in the test beds
located at the rear right of the garden for
several years before being selected. Few of
the original roses remain; Buccaneer, located
in the centre close to the fountain in the
north east quadrant, is one of the remaining
The main flowering season
commences in November and continues until
early autumn. The plants are continually
'deadheaded through the flowering season to
promote new growth and flowering. Pruning
starts in May, and a pruning demonstration in
conjunction with the Rose Society is held each
pest management program is followed,
ensuring; minimal chemical sprays are used
during growth. Along the Begonia House beds a
number of perennials are planted which host
desirable insects providing a measure of
natural control. The roses are fed September,
December and March.
To the west of the Rose Garden on the ridge is
a Herb Garden.
This in itself is very interesting, and also
provides an excellent view of the area.
The east side also has the
built in 1970/71 with its Peace Flame.
on hill overlooking Rose Garden -
view above looking across valley.